Thursday, November 10, 2005

Past Present Future

I have the tendency to daydream and let mind wander off somewhere, anywhere.

It is something I always did when I am alone, if I'm not sleeping.

Here is a summary of things to come: The origins of the Lecherous Monk.

I'm sure many of you would like to know how this nickname of mine came about.

I may have told some of you readers via MSN before but it was only in brief.

Ready? Here goes.

On one particular daydreaming session, my ghost of the past came back to haunt me...

*****

Past
I was 14 again.

Having reached puberty and being curious and all, I made every effort to try to make friends with the people of the opposite sex.

For your info, I was in an all boys school for 10 good years. My life was either revolved around tuition (5 days a week) or hanging around the technical workshop most of the time.

I tried the penpals column from Teenage magazine, mIRC, and even surfed websites and forums on dating tips.

I remembered that I visited the then Singaporean Dating Guide (or SDG for short) religiously.



I was so religious that I even printed the entire guide out.

I think I still have it somewhere in my drawer...


Here it is!

I was also a regular participant in the SDG forum! So regular that I was promoted to 2nd in command administrator! Big fuck man at that point of time...

I also visited http://www.askmen.com

What is askmen.com all about?

According to their mission statement, AskMen.com is a free online destination for men, a men's portal, designed to provide men with daily features on subject matter that interests the general male population.

It has alot of topics regarding Dating, Sex, Fashion, Money, Sports.

Being a pimply kid still in his teens, the only thing I was curious about is dating and sex!

Enough said.

As I grew older and entered polytechnic, I still had no luck with women. Even my friends started to wonder if I have decided to go into monkhood.

Friend 1: "Eh still single? You want to become monk ah?"

Friend 2: "Monk? He so teeko how to become monk? Sure kena rejected or get kicked out one lah!"

Over the years, these comments just kept coming and coming and thus...

The Lecherous Monk was born.

As I was so determined to unlock the secrets of befriending women, I turned to self help books.

I bought myself this...



And then the time came when I had to serve the nation. It was during this time that I found out from my army mates that there is no standard way of befriending women.

Women, comes in all shapes and sizes and everything else.

Some are vocal, some are not.

Some are sporty, some are not.

You get the drift.

In summary, being myself and customising every situation is the key. Self help books are useless as it was written in an overseas context and it does not apply to our local women.

Knowing the "enemy" and half the battle is won was another tip.

"How?" I asked.

"Either a woman tells you how a woman thinks or you find out yourself loh!"

Since I had little female friends, I had to turn to option two.

I turned to books written by women for the women.



I started on the shopaholic series and completed them all!

Reading other people's blogs can also gives me an insight on how women think.

Lets stop here for now.

Present
By now you may think that I'm very jian, despicable or just plain desperate.

You may even see me at a different light now that I have exposed some of my skeletons in my cupboard.

I may be more out spoken compared to my polytechnic days yes.

I may have no problems communicating with women now yes.

But over the years, I finally understood that its not all about getting into the woman's pants.

Its all about forging friendships.

Getting into the woman's pants is a bonus. Haha.

Future
I also discovered the joy of reading books written by women for women. Nothing can be more intriguing than conversing with a women at their frequency! It helps to built rapport in my humble opinion.

As for getting hitched/laid, I'll just let nature takes it course.

Although being a lecherous monk aint that bad, you think I'll be one forever?

Maybe as an online persona lah.

*****

My latest purchase!



Janice Wong's Single Picky Girl was on Kinokuniya's bestsellers list. If that is not a good enough reason to buy it, I don't know what is.

Maybe one day I should write a series of columns about something similar too.

How does writing about being SDU sound?

(S)ingle (D)esperate (U)nwanted

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha!

Good entry... haha..

=)

10:50 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger R2D2 said...

You can now join me in the search of a life and singlehood. (I'm still single after 22 years. That says a lot, eh?)

11:18 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger LuKe said...

This writer (Janice Wong) looked PCC...

No, I meant Pretty Cute Chick :)

Gotcha. :p

.LuKe.

11:31 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger LuKe said...

Anyway, glad to know where that nick came from. I guess I'm just so much luckier than some of you out there :p

*opps*

.LuKe.

11:32 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger thelecherousmonk said...

Liz: Thanks!

SB: Heng I'm not so bad. I had a girlfriend once but it did not work out. So I'm not a virgin single in every sense of the word. LoL

Luke: Some people just have ALL the luck. LoL.

2:49 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger /77!cH3//3 said...

aaahahahahaha!!!!

i din know u had problem talking to women. hahaha!! u seemed fine to me! WAHAHAH!!!

2:52 AM, November 12, 2005  
Blogger S. said...

I thought your moniker has something to do with the anime, Inuyasha. So I dropped by to read what the blog is about. There's a character in the series called Miroku, who is the Lecherous Monk. He asks every pretty girl he comes across if they would have his baby. Pretty funny fella.

10:40 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger thelecherousmonk said...

Yes yes, I agree. Miroku is a funny chap. I know all about him.

But my nickname is derived even before I knew about Inuyasha and Miroku.

But since he is such a popular character, I have no choice but to share this turf with him.

You can read it all at http://thelecherousmonk.blogspot.com/2005/11/this-market-is-only-big-enough-for-two.html

11:22 PM, January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home