Saturday, November 05, 2005

Why do you blog?

That was the question a waitress was asking me when she came over to my table when I went for a drink during Happy Hour some time back .

I told her that I blog because I want to share my thoughts and opinions on certain issues and hopefully if the future, I can read about what I wrote and bring back memories, good or bad.

I asked her if she also blogs and she said yes.

"So why do you blog?" I asked.

"Everyones doing it" was her reply.

As she had to attend to other orders and left the table, I stopped to ponder over what she said.

Everyone's doing it?

Hmmmm. I believe there is a tinge of truth in it, and I'm guilty of it too.

The reason why I started blogging was because everyone is doing it.

According to most of the online dictionaries, a blog is known as online journal.

What is a journal? A journal is a daily written record of (usually personal) experiences and observations, also known as a dairy.

So am I jumping onto the bandwagon? In a way yes. I was reading my archives and discovered that my earlier entries were... without content.

I was blogging for the sake of blogging. Every little thing that happened in my life, I blog. I try to get readers by advertising via word of mouth. I visit other people's blogs and reply to their posts. I did everything to get the traffic.

Overtime, the effort to make it happen just died off. There is absolutely no way I can compare with the big guns, aka celebrity bloggers. So I stopped for awhile, and did some thinking.

To stop and close down the site? Or continue? I did spent a substantial amount of time to set up a blog with all my previous entires. To close it down would seem very sayang.

After much thought, I decided to blog for myself. So I tweak around with my template settings, customised my blog to be simple and yet very me.

And I started blogging about my thoughts, and any unique daily happenings.

To hell with being a celebrity blogger. If people like what they read, they will come.

And its true! I experienced an overnight traffic jump with my maxim review.

I do blog for the sake of blogging now and then but the frequency is lower compared to when I first started out.

Even my classmate Elizabeth said she noticed it too.

Don't believe me? Start reading from my archives loh.

Now, whenever I stumble across some new blogs, I can tell whether if they are just blogging or just blogging for the sake of blogging.

Quantity over quality is the phrase to be used.

So if you are/were a blogger, why do you blog in the first place?

Any changes in your blog content then and now?

And lastly, to all my daily readers,

Thank you for your support!

Its readers like you that makes blogging all worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home