Friday, February 10, 2006

How little is too little?

Had a conversation with Sandy on the way to school last week.

(This post was supposed to be up last week. I've drafted it and completely forgotten about it!)

Anyway, We talked about the usual gossips, opinions on certain issues, her Birthday celebrations.

The last area of discussion we talked about are the previous jobs we used to work before and she was amazed by the types of jobs I've done so far.

So I've done jobs that paid $3.50/hour before apart from other odd jobs like car washing, being a general worker and my current part time job; all which does not pay high.

Sandy was telling me that I must increase my salary expectations, because for her, after she worked in a job that pays her $7.50 an hour, she will not settle for any other jobs that pays less than that now.

Our conversation ended *snaps fingers* just like that when we entered the lecture room.

But I was still thinking about what she said earier about the salary expectations.

In a way, it sounds appropriate. How to live a good life with such a measly pay check?

As we all grow older, it is only logical that we tend to spend more, therefore we need to have an income that pays more.

But not many companies are willing to pay that much unless not many people out there has your field of expertise.

Even for those companies that pay high, I'm sure those currently working in those company are not stupid enough to leave.

So if every Singaporean are like that, then who will do those lowly paid jobs?

Are we going to hire more foreign workers to do the dirty work, only to petition to ban them in Orchard Road during festive seasons?

Even though I'm currently working in a company that pays me at least $50/day, I'm not trying to praise myself for being the noble Singaporean by taking up these lowly paid jobs.

I think its all about mindset.

My only concern is whether I can find a reasonable paid job after I graduate, IF I graduate.

PS: After I type this, I find that some part of this post is uncannily similar to that of Mad Little Me's post about the Little Red Hen.

I hope I wasn't plagarising.

1 Comments:

Blogger R2D2 said...

If you're too choosy, you end up having nothing in the end. That's what I think.

4:22 AM, February 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home