Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Does the rain ever stop?

Parents are very strange creatures.

When you reach 18 years of age, they keep bugging you to get a class 3 licence so that next time you can drive them around. They sponsor your driving fees and promise to let you use their vehicle after you pass.

It is another whole different story after that. You obtained a class 3 diving licence but they let you use their vehicle ONLY when they are sitting beside you. They dare not risk you wrecking their vehicle should you drive alone.

Sheesh.

So I was asking permission from my Dad to drive his vehicle. Hes very qing(1) cai(4) one.

Not my Mum though. She got all worked up and paranoid when she found out that I was going to drive my Dad's lorry.

Oh the horror on her face...

"Are you sure you can drive or not?"

"The lorry so big!"

"You are still not a seasoned driver yet!"

I think she has forgotten that I used to drive the 5-tonner and the HMCT during the army days...

Whats the point of getting a licence when you can't drive right?

It seems that while I was assuring her that I am totally capable of driving my Dad's vehicle, I seem to attract the attention of my neighbours upstairs. I can see them peering down from their window wondering whats going on.

I can imagine what was going through their minds then.

"What is this rebellious young man doing?"

"Is he driving despite his parents disapproval?"

"Is he an illegal driver?"

I'm not surprised. It was 11pm at night. I must have caused a ruckus.

So I have a loud voice.

Loud as in high decibels loud.

Thats what my classmates tell me. During poly, my classmates asked me to stop shouting. In university, my classmates asked me to lower down my volume.

And how was I to know how loud I was whenever I open my mouth to speak? I've been speaking like that for the past 23 years! Heck, my family and close friends have probably got used to it already!

Maybe that was one of the reasons why I broke up with my ex-girlfriend. She must be thinking that I'm raising my voice at her all the time!

Ok I'm digressing.

Well, I did get to use the lorry, eventually!

Hanged around with my friends and had supper. We were discussing about comedies during one part of our conversation. One of them said that they can relate to the comedy Friends while I said that I can relate to Seinfeld.

I was re-enacting a scene off one of the Seinfeld episodes and I got the whole table laughing. Am I that good an impersonator? Maybe thats my hidden talent.

Despite the irregular rain (heavy showers and occasional drizzle) which made driving difficult last night, I brought the lorry back to the HDB parking lot safe and sound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home