Tuesday, August 09, 2005

National Day With A Bang!

Happy 40th Birthday Singapore!

I wonder how many Singaporeans are actually enjoying this public holiday. Well I know I didn't. Today was quite a busy day for me actually, although some of them may seem quite bo liao to you.

I woke up with half of the day already gone and that leaves me 12 hours to do what I had intended to do. Will I be able to complete the tasks? I will have to find out.

I started out with surfing my favourite forums and blogs while eating my "breakfast". Multitasking helps save time. I discovered that the long waited Episode 42 of Gundam Seed Destiny is out already! Given the number of seeders, my download merely took about half an hour. Woo hoo! The episode was so exciting that I watched it 3 times!

I have finally finished moving all the comments from my friendster blog over to blogspot already. When I'm done publishing this post, I will close down my friendster blog. Why do I want to close that down? Well, for one, I don't want people to come snooping around secretly at my blog. If I want you to read my blog, I'll tell you. I'm not whoring for attention.For now, I'm happy with my current viewership of friends and occasional strangers already.

I remembered that I had to do my tutorials for tomorrow. Mr James Kwan (my lecturer) can be quite a nag sometimes, but I know its all for our own good. I spent the later half of the afternoon doing his tutorials which I discovered was quite easy! Maybe it was because I did that module in polytechnic years ago. I'm still wondering why can't I be exempted for that module. I checked my Polytechnic's transcript and discovered that I got a B. My highest grade for that semester somemore! And no exemption! Hmmph!

Remember when my hair stylist and Ralphael told me that I will look good if the goatee was shorter or gone? Well guess what? After the tutorials, I went back online to google goatee styles. My my, there were actually plenty of websites that dedicate themselves to everything about the goatee.

Must google this kind of thing meh?

Aiyah, I took 10 months to grow my beloved goatee. You think I am just going to trim it JUST LIKE THAT?

You.must.be.joking.

Do you know what is the difference between a goatee and a vandyke? Neither do I, until I googled over every possible website that talks about a goatee.

A goatee is the hair trimmed along the chin and below the mouth. A Vandyke is the combination of a goatee and a mustache.

Interesting right?

Over at http://www.goatee.org ... The site has tips on how to grow a goatee, how to groom it, a goatee FAQ, a goatee message board, and soon a gallery, and history of the goatee, with famous historical goatee wearers.



"Clear Instructions on How To Do (just about) Everything" was their slogan.

I ehowed how to "How to Trim a Beard" for the fun of it and there do have it! Amazing I tell you.

I also surfed my way to http://www.goateegallery.com for the different styles of goatees available around the world. There have 123 galleries of goatees! OMG! 1 gallery has 10 pictures, that means there were 1,230 goatees for me to view! No, I did not make it after the 5th gallery for your info.

After about 2 hours of research and dinner, (I multitasked again) I was ready. I got out my beard trimmer and my scissors and got ready for the operation.

And then I smelt a strong burning smell, I thought somemore was burning incense or something but looking out of the window, I saw nothing of that sort. Instead, I saw a hoard of people crowding over to the neighbouring block.

Wah, did someone die? Why the commotion in my quiet neighbourhood?

Then I heard sirens. And saw fire engines and police cars.

Wah! Must see! Being the typical Singaporean I am, I put my "operaton" on hold and went downstairs to watch the commotion.

From what I heard, there was a fire outbreak and the whole unit was in flames man! So thats where the burning smell came from. The civil defence came and started breaking through the house by cutting the gate ot smashing the windows to check for survivors. Drama I tell you. Anyway, the whole thing lasted for about an hour. I don't really know the details. So just wait for the newspaper report ok?

Ok, back to the "operation". It was well...

... a failure in my opinion.

Initially, I only wanted to trim it to about half of it original length. I used the scissors to first cut 1/4 of it away before using the beard trimmer to even it.

Well, The beard trimmer had 4 settings to cut hair at various lengths. To make it easier for you to understand,

  • Setting 4: Furthest from blade
  • Setting 3: Nearer to blade but still quite far
  • Setting 2: Nearer to blade and not far liao
  • Setting 1: G.I style. The setting all recruits get for National Service

Setting 4

From my research, they said start out with the furthest setting. So I started out with setting 4 and starting shaving along my chin. Hmmm, quite far and the blade could not reach some parts of my uneven goatee.

Setting 3

Good! I started with the right side and it works perfectly!

When I started on the left side, it happened.

I must have pressed the trimmer too hard against my skin and the setting just gave way and went to setting 2, shaving part of my goatee with it!

Wah lau! What the fuck?!

What to do? If I wanted it to be even, I have only one choice, trim the rest of my goatee using setting 2.

Setting 2

I played it safe this time. I shaved slowly and did not apply pressure. I don't want another nasty accident where I need to use setting 1! By the time I finished, I admired my handiwork.

I actually look neater!

Even my Brother said I look like a new man.

I wonder what will my classmates say tomorrow...

Just for laughs:


My goatee used to be like that of the goat in the picture eh? Not anymore.

I thought it was another website of goatees but I was wrong. It is actually a sort of personal website/blog of someone. Interesting site!

Excerpt:

What started as a joke during my freshman year of college has now become the whole gimmick... er... theme of this site. But I still have to stress that I'm not expert in the field of facial hair grooming. I get so many messages from people asking me how to grow a good goatee. Just to get this out of the way early, the way you grow a goatee is by ceasing to shave your chin. If nothing grows, there's not much you can do. I don't know of any secret formulas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home