Monday, December 12, 2005

Two options? Excuse me?

Human beings are complacent creatures when it comes to using machinery.

Its true!

Take your house aircon, computer/laptop or the car/van that you drive for example.

You always expect it to work whenever you operate or use it. You don't thinking about the thing breaking down because of the mentality that...

"Nah, won't so suay one lah."

And then it breaks down. You start cursing... and swearing... and complaining... about the inconvenience caused.

Well, if you took care of it, maintained it and serviced it in the first place, you will hardly encounter this problem in the first place!

Admit it, we human beings are just lazy.

And what do you do when your machinery/gadget breaks down?

You either attempt to DIY, send the thing for repair or call in the repairman right?

Thats why we have so many electricians, plumbers, carpenters, mechanics around.

But thats not the main gist of the story.

The main gist of this story is about public machinery.

Lets talk about escalators and lifts.

What do you do when you are using the escalator and it breaks down? Simple. You just carry on walking up/down the escalator.

But what will you do when you get stuck in the lift? You either

  1. Do it the quiet way by dialing the rescue number if it is stated IN the lift

    or

  2. Press the bell and tell everyone around the lift that you are a stuck-in-the-lift victim.

So I was unloading the stuff from my boss' vehicle to bring up to the store in the wee hours of the morning. The job ended late so that explains the timing.

And yep, you guessed it. I was stuck in the lift.

"Where got so suay?!" I was saying to my boss when it happened.

Ok, so we had the two options.

But there was no number in the lift for us to call!

And pressing the damn bell wouldn't work because his warehouse is located in an industrial estate. No one works at that point of time and the nearest outsider is probably miles away!

At that point of time I swear I was thinking of doing a stunt ala Hollywood style by opening up the lift hatch and try to pry open the lift dorr from the inside.

My boss was shaking the lift door to force it to move.

What are the chances of that happening?

Well, it did move. The lift brought us up to the highest level of the building and the door opened to an air of silence.

I was so glad to breathe fresh air again. I wanted to use the other cargo lift but before I can do anything, my boss had already pressed the close button as I looked at him in shock.

"Relax lah, the lift door alignment has just gone wrong. The wood must have hit the door just now. Just don't touch the door," my boss was telling me.

When we finally got off and unloaded everything, I noticed that the rescue number was on the outside of the lift.

Didn't I just say human beings are complacent creatures when it comes to using machinery?

Who will notice the darn rescue number when they know the lift is actually working? What were the lift installers/technicians thinking?!

What happens if one day you get caught in MY situation? Ever thought of that?!

We should insist that the rescue numbers be placed in ALL current and future lifts!

Better yet. Make it a rule!

I don't know? Break it and get fined or something!

I do have other lift problems but that is another whole new different entry altogether.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry.i know its abit late..but..HAPPY belated bDAY!! so sorry man...haven been catching up with pple's blog..hehe..anyway, u knw the contest? yayy! i got into top 100...its another men's mag..so..its obvious now hor. rem to vote for me by then! :) hehehe

3:39 PM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger LuKe said...

Buy Toto, coming Toto 2.8 million I think. Haha :)

.LuKe.

12:33 AM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger thelecherousmonk said...

Janice: You got to be more specific! FHM, Maxim, SNAG? Don't worry, I'll definetely get myself a copy when its published and you will have my vote!

Luke: Really? Haven't been keeping in touch with the lottery lately. Will go take a look.

3:44 AM, December 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahha...tell you when its confirmed ok. :) thanks man!

1:55 AM, December 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home