Friday, June 17, 2005

Don't go to the arcade so much!

Remember my previous post on the increase of fares? At that point of time, I really felt like I had to do something to help me save cost. Since I travel by bus pretty often, I felt like inputting $1 for any journey that costs more than $1 on the EZ-Link card, and hope that there won't be any bus conductors boarding the bus to do a spot check. For MRT wise, I hoped that my EZ-Link card gets chosen for their lucky draws that can entitle me a year of free rides. Or the most unethical method. Finding a student's wallet with their EZ-Link card in it and use, praying that they won't deactivate their card.

And then it dawned on me that previously, there were EZ-Link cards for children. The card has a yellow backing compared to the Adult's blue and the Senior Citizen's purple. Now how can I buy a child EZ-Link card without arousing suspicion?

Get a kid to buy it for me lah! But who? At my age, I don't know of any kids! And most kids are usually with their over protective parents. Who can blame them, with missing children in the forests and all going on.

I finally concluded that the best place to get a kid to help me purchase my card was at the amusement arcade. I used to frequent that place without the company of my parents when I was younger and I know that there will be many these type of kids there. Eh, I'm a student on a budget, travelling expenses very high you know?!

Many many kids at the arcade. Like a lion stalking its prey, I finally chose one and asked him to help "kor kor" with something.

Its reminds me so much when I was young. My Mother was always telling me, "Don't go to the arcade so much! So many bad guys! You mix with the wrong company how? Kena cheated or kidnapped how?" Well, I didn't get kidnapped as my Mother had darkly predicted. Growing up in that kind of environment, I became more street wise. Now, I am just putting the skills I've acquired to some cunning use.

I asked him to help me buy a child farecard and if successful, I will give him $5 cash. Kids. They are so gullible. The sound of $5 ringing in his head was too tempting. He immediately agreed without much consideration and off we went to the MRT station.

All my efforts gone to waste lah. The child EZ-Link is no longer available for sale! In the end I gave him $2 (half heartedly) for his efforts.

I can already hear you readers saying "Orr Bee Good! Serves you right for exploiting a child!"

Yea yea whatever. So I'm now stuck with the original method of using $1 coins for long bus journeys.

The morale of the story? Teach your kid well. What s/he goes through today will be useful in the future. It worked for me.

Ok, you readers can start flaming me. I've got my fire extinguisher ready.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

... Dude, you stooped so low. Using a child?! The point when I read about the child following you to the MRT without hesitation for just $5 sent shivers down my spine!
Luckily, I know you... And I'm sure you don't really like children... Erm... Right?
No respect for you man! Boo!

10:18 PM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger thelecherousmonk said...

I am a student on a budget and deperation cause for desperate measures. People like you working for the Gahmen obviously don't feel the pinch in a slight increase in fares unlike people like me ya know?

12:46 AM, June 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Budget?! Desperate?!
Cut down on your ARCADE FUND!

1:32 AM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger thelecherousmonk said...

My arcade fund is already on a budget! I'm spending 50% less than what I used to. Why am I even telling you these anyway? Bah!

5:10 PM, June 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home