Tuesday, June 21, 2005

That time lah! Remember anot?

Hello readers! In today's series, I shall talk about the issue of personal money. This trait of mine may also be the trait of other people, including non-Singaporeans as well.

Typical Singaporean Series Part #2

Scenario: Coffeeshop

Drinks Auntie: Ai lim mai? (Any Drinks for you?)

Ken: Ai! Ai! (Yes, yes!) Eh what you all want? Apple Tea ah?

The rest of us: Ok lah, anything.

Ken: Auntie, si gong apple tea, Seasons eh hor. (Auntie, 4 cans of Seasons Ice Apple Tea)

Auntie: Orkay~

When the drinks arrive, some had $2 note in their hands, some $5, some $10.

Auntie: Lai, long zong si khor buik. (Total is $4.80)

Only Wei Wen had $5. So naturally, he paid with his $5 note.

Author's note: I don't know about some of you guys but there are some people who are willing to spend their money as though it is their treat everytime. It doesn't happen to me nor my friends I mix with. We are calculative about money and who owes who, narrowed down to the nearest $0.10. Yes, we are that gei gao. (calculative)

All of us gave Wei Wen our $2 and $10 respectively. Except Colin, who gave him $0.20.

Colin: Eh, you still owe me $1 for that sugar cane drink that time right? Nah, 20 cents. Boh Lai.

Wei Wen: Got meh?

Colin: Got! That time lah! Remember anot?

Wei Wen: Orrhh ok ok! (After some time recalling)

Me: Eh, my $10 change where?

Wei Wen: Aiyah, no small change lah, $10 so big! You think I ATM meh?

Me: Or later we go 7-11 buy drink then I pay you back lah. $1.20 right?

Wei Wen: Yah

And there you have it. When it comes to money, even my friends don't take it lightly. And I still wonder why are we like that? Ian Kwan was also like that. I lent him $1 to buy stamps and he return that as soon as he had some loose change available. Is it a Chinese thing or what? Cannot be. Because in poly, my Malay and Indian friends also like that. Our Singapore upbringing perhaps?

Maybe its because....

...

...

...

KNN! I don't know lah! Headache already!

Any suggestions from you readers?

Does this kind of behaviour even happen in other countries?

Do enlighten me.

So are you a typical Singaporean?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh Hello. I borrowed 1 dollar coin from you because I didn't have change to buy a stamp which is, well, $1. And since we didn't meet for like so bloody long, of course I don't wanna owe you that bloody dollar. Don't wanna to let you think "Bloody Hell... Got regular pay still wanna eat my 1 dollar." Understand or not ah?

10:29 PM, June 21, 2005  
Blogger thelecherousmonk said...

Theres such a thing called bank transfer. Yea yea. $1 sounds pathetic but if you are willing to pay, you will find all ways and means to pay it. Bah!

1:19 AM, June 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand why are you whining like a little girl because I return you that $1 which I owe you.

9:00 PM, June 22, 2005  
Blogger thelecherousmonk said...

Maybe its because I was brought up that way. Money above all!

12:32 AM, June 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... I know for you, it's "Money above all!" So I returned you that $1, which hopefully in turn save little boys from you. So what's the big deal?

9:47 PM, June 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home