Monday, June 20, 2005

The Typical Singaporean and Uniquely Singapore Series!

I have decided to have a theme for my blog. You guys may have read about this kind of topics from the newspapers, 8days and other sources. And that is talking about Singaporeans and Singapore. Only difference is that it will be from my point of view.

Feeling bored already? Don't read loh.

Typical Singaporean Series Part #1

Having gone to a neighbourhood school during my younger days, I've come across all sorts of people that you can hardly find in high class schools like RI and Chinese High.

People who joined gangs, got into fights, smoke and speaking Hokkien as though it was their 1st language.

And at that point of time, it was fun to go to school and mingle with these type of people. Now I know why they call school their second home. It really had that homely feeling.

Nope, I didn't join a gang nor started smoking at that age.

I learnt how to speak and understand some Hokkien!

Which brings me to this. Learning Hokkien has a positive and negative effect on me.

For one, I am now able to slightly understand Hokkien conversations.

But on the bad side, vulgar Hokkien words will most commonly be used and that includes the famous Chao Chee Bye (CCB) and Kanina (KNN). If something goes bad, we scold Chee Bye, If it is good we also scold Chee Bye.

In many cases, its tends to be a battle cry.

Every sentence start with either CCB or KNN. Sheesh!

Not only the Chinese say it, but the Malays and Indians as well. Sure they had their own version of the particular female anotomy but that is another story altogether.

Which Singaporean don't use these words? I bet you my left testicle that you have used a Hokkien vulgarity at least once in your life.

It's becoming to common that it makes us so different from our Western counterparts who just use the word "fuck" in their daily speech.

Hey, we Singaporeans use the word "fuck" too! So does that make us special or what? Heh.

So are you a typical Singaporean?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home